Friday, January 22, 2016

HOW TO STUDY:101




I hope you guys have had a good week in school. I have just finished my first week back at college. What is the one thing college students hear a lot? STUDYING is what students hear a lot from professors.  College students are seeing a lot of this right now.


                                  (picture taken from Google images.)
That’s right TEXTBOOKS.
Here are four tips that I like to use for studying.
 DO NOT PROCRASTINATE
As I have already, it is bad to procrastinate. Many bad things can happen when you wait the last minute. Power goes out, wifi goes out, computer crashes, and emergencies are some problems that can delay submitting homework. Since you do not know when these events will happen, it is better to be ahead of schedule and submit the homework early. Less stress and more time to complete the work are benefits of not procrastinating.
TAKE NOTES/QUIZ YOURSELF
While in class, take notes about the lecture. It helps you retain the information and it keeps you from being bored in class. A person can take notes by hand or electronically. I prefer taking notes by hand. There are many apps that help with note taking. Find the method that works for you. You can also quiz yourself with the notes that you took.  Reading over the material will not help you memorize it or learn it. You need to quiz yourself so that you can see what you really know. Do practice problems/tests without your book. I like to make flashcards. Flashcards are very helpful.
EAT A SNACK/ CHEW GUM
There are many times when you are studying that you will get hungry. I like to keep snack near me when I study. Chips, candy, and cookies are some of the snacks that I like. Healthy snacks that I like would include: apples with peanut butter, fruit cups ( oranges and pineapples), and celery sticks with peanut butter When I do not feel like eating, I like to chew gum. It helps me feel more awake.
PUT AWAY DISTRACTIONS
This is a hard one to follow. There are so many distractions for a college student. My distractions are texting, watching tv/Netflix/youtube , looking/posting on social media, and doing chores when I am suppose to study. How do I conquer these distractions? I put away my phone and I get my chores done before I start studying. Studying on campus helps me focus on my work. When I am not in a room with a tv, I am less tempted to watch tv. I avoid typing youtube or Netflix on my search bar.
 These are tips that I have learned and used while in college. I would love to hear how you study. There is no right way to study because we are all different.  I hope these tips can help you in some way.


No comments:

Post a Comment