Friday, June 9, 2017

What Not To Do

Hello readers! Hope your week is going well. This week I'm talking about disability 101. Who has seen the show "What Not to Wear on TLC"? It's a good show.  In this post, it's about " What Not To Do" when encountering someone with a disability.Over the years, I have been asked some personal questions and told some weird statements regarding my disability from adults. I think adults need to mind their own business; however; some people are ok with personal questions being asked. Here are questions that people have said and questions they should have asked.

1-What is wrong with your legs?(I'm just walking around the story and they just stop me). they should ask " Are you ok and need help?" It is rude to ask personal questions when you just met someone.

2-Can I pray for you?( then continue to pray for healing. Remember I don't know these people). I believe in healing, but I don't think you should randomly go up to someone like that. they should have said " Can I pray for you? Then ask if I have any prayer requests."

3-People assuming I need help with things. Just let me do it and I'll let you know if I need help. People assume I can't do something because I have a disability. Do not do this. It may discourage a person with a disability.

4-Don't describe someone as disabled. For example, Jenna who is blind is my neighbor. It would be better to say, Jenna is my neighbor who happens to be blind.

5-I have had people stare at me while I walk. Do not stare at people who have disabilities. I know they are staring at me because they start asking personal questions.

These opinions do not represent all people with disabilities. I hope that this post helps educate people. Just think before you start asking personal questions. Even though someone has a disability, doesn't give you the right to start asking personal questions when you first met someone.

~Liu Miao~



No comments:

Post a Comment