Thursday, August 3, 2017

Disease and Disappointment




Hello everyone! I’m Mary-Faith, and I have lived with chronic illness since I was two years old. I am so excited to be a part of the #SpoonieSeries and hopefully give some encouragement to all of my fellow spoonies out there!

I've been thinking a lot about this post. I've written several things that I felt were inadequate. But what I want to talk to you about today is disappointment - not just any disappointment, but the kind that only those living with chronic illness can understand. 

If you are suffering from any sort of disease, you are going to have disappointments in your life. More than the average person. Maybe that new treatment you were counting on didn't do anything for you. Maybe you had amazing plans that you had been looking forward to, but you had to cancel because you didn't feel up to it. Maybe an amazing opportunity came along, and you had to pass it up. Whatever it may be, it will come, and it will be a feeling you become familiar with. 

So how do you deal with it? I have found that it becomes easier with time. It will still hurt, but your heart will accept it just a little bit easier. You will be used to it, and it will become second nature. 

This is the plan that God has for you right now. He has put you in this place at this time for a reason. We need to trust him most when it is the hardest to do so. We need to hang on to His promises always. I am a rational person, but if there is anyone that I should be willing to follow into the dark and unknown, it is my Heavenly Father. 

Right now you might be thinking, "Wow, Mary-Faith, that sounds great. So how do I do it?"

Well, you do it one step at a time. One day at a time. Trust takes practice. Obedience takes a choice. And then you have to do it over and over again until it becomes easier. As humans, it will never become ingrained into our being to automatically follow God. But the more that we choose to do so, the closer to immediate it becomes. The less we have to think about it, and the easier it is to just do. 

So, when you are facing these disappointments head on, when you are struggling to explain why you can't do something to people who don't understand, remember that there is Someone who is always on your side, rooting for you, and understanding how you feel (on the inside and the outside) no matter what. 

Thanks Mary for contributing this series. Go check out her blog for some amazing inspiration and great advice. Would you like to be apart of this series?  Email me at liuliumiao@gmail.com
Have a great day.

~Liu Miao~

No comments:

Post a Comment