Monday, May 29, 2017

Disease Doesn't Define

    
     Hello readers! I have another post for the #Spoonieseries. Having a Chronic illness is hard. It is tempting to think that a disease fine a person. A chronic illness is a big part of one's life. I have struggled with this while growing up. I didn't want people to think of me as the girl with a chronic illness. ( I use chronic illness and disability interchangeably because some disabilities include some chronic problems). An illness is only a part of you. You still you no matter what. Yes, there will be times when you might get depressed, but that doesn't change you as a person. Most illness will change your lifestyle somehow, but don't let it stop you from reaching your dreams. Sometimes reaching your dreams will look different than the "normal person" does it. It doesn't matter how long it takes to finish as long as you finish. ( I found this somewhere online)
     There are things that you will have to adjust in your life. For example, I don't do jumping activities because it causes much pain in my hip. I am not going to be stupid and continue jumping. if I continue jumping, I could tear a muscle or break something. Don't let your disease define you, but don't do something that could cause more pain than fun to your body. I still do fun activities.  Walking, playing with my dogs, stretching, and playing with my young nieces/ nephews are some of the physical activities I do. If there is a casual game of catch, soccer, or volleyball: I will occasionally join. Dancing with a group of friends is another favorite activities.
    There is definitely a balance between don't let your disease define you and don't do more damage to your body. Each person is different and has to  discover their own balance. I am still learning where my balance is. Have a lovely Monday!

~Liu Miao~

No comments:

Post a Comment